Shiba Inu Dev Issues New Security Update On Shibarium Bridge

bitcoinist發佈於 2025-09-22更新於 2025-09-23

文章摘要

Shiba Inu core developer Kaal Dhairya has issued a detailed security update following the September 12 incident that exploited validator...

Trusted Editorial content, reviewed by leading industry experts and seasoned editors. Ad Disclosure

Shiba Inu core developer Kaal Dhairya has issued a detailed security update following the September 12 incident that exploited validator signing power on the Shibarium PoS bridge to push a malicious state/exit and withdraw multiple assets. The post, published on September 21, 2025 outlines what happened, what has been done so far, and what will govern a phased restoration once independent reviews conclude.

Shiba Inu Core Dev Shares Another Update

In a personal foreword that framed both the technical and human dimensions of the episode, Dhairya opened by distancing himself from any singular leadership mantle and reiterated the original ethos driving his work. “I want to clarify first: I’m not ‘the lead.’ I never was and never want to be. I’m just a builder who bet on SHIB’s ethos,” he wrote, adding that “in moments like these, you realize you may have just been a pawn in the whole game.”

The Shiba Inu core dev cautioned that, given “the sophistication of this attack,” he could not presently vouch for the safety of any existing keys, and he signaled fatigue with expectations that individual contributors could “keep it all together” without broader structural support.

The account of the incident describes how, at 18:44 UTC on September 12, “unauthorized validator signing power was used to push a malicious state/exit through the PoS bridge.” The method, per the update, combined short-lived stake amplification with malicious checkpoint/exit proofs to authorize withdrawals. Post-incident on-chain activity linked to the attacker is said to include sales of portions of ETH, SHIB and ROAR, though the team is withholding the “evolving wallet graph” while containment and coordination with authorities continue. “We’ll release the full technical narrative after doing so no longer increases risk,” the post states.

Immediate measures include restricting specific bridge operations to prevent new unauthorized exits, upgrading and gating contract pathways covering deposits, withdrawals, claims and rewards, and applying “targeted defensive controls against misuse of delegated stake.” The team says it recovered and secured at-risk BONE at the stake-manager level and notes that any short-term BONE stake under the attacker remains “effectively immobilized” by interventions and protocol mechanics.

Key and custody hygiene steps have involved rotating validator signers and migrating contract control to multi-party hardware custody, while live monitoring and automated alerts continue in coordination with exchanges, external security researchers, incident-response firms and relevant authorities.

The update also engages frequently asked questions about validator compromise and operational accountability. It says validator signing keys were “primarily stored in AWS KMS, with rare usage on developer machines,” and that ultimate responsibility for key management lies with operational leadership. While a single intrusion vector has not been confirmed, preliminary possibilities include a developer machine compromise, a cloud KMS compromise, exposure during an AWS-to-GCP migration, or a supply-chain attack, such as via npm.

The post acknowledges decentralization shortcomings underscored by the fact that “10 of 12 validators” signed the malicious state, and it commits to greater validator decentralization, stronger key-rotation policy, tighter custody, improved disclosures, and higher due-diligence thresholds for sensitive access.

A roadmap preview sets out four gated phases. “Containment” remains ongoing with restricted bridge functionality and live monitoring; “Hardening,” in collaboration with Hexens, includes signer/validator hygiene, policy-level controls such as rate limits, challenge windows and circuit-breakers, and deny-list extensions where technically appropriate.

Next, “Safe Restoration” will not begin until independent reviews sign off on mitigations, post-incident integrity checks pass and drills on test environments succeed, with restoration executed in phases and with rollback levers; finally, a comprehensive technical postmortem will precede a community-reviewed remediation path for affected users and liquidity, with the update noting that “token-specific approaches may differ.”

Timelines remain intentionally unspecified: “We won’t publish dates that could be gamed by an adversary,” the team writes, reiterating that updates will post to official channels.

For Shiba Inu token holders and victims, the message is blunt: beware of scams, ignore unverified “recovery/claim portals,” and expect bridge restrictions to persist “until we confirm it’s safe to restore.” Questions about bridging back to Ethereum, the timing of bridge resumption, validator rotation and full audit all receive the same answer—safety first, details to follow when security allows. On fund recovery and potential compensation, the team says options are being evaluated and any proposal will be published for community review “once viable and secure.”

The Shiba Inu developer closes by reaffirming priorities and situating communication within a disciplined cadence. “Our priorities are unchanged: protect users, secure the network, contain the attacker, and restore services safely.” The next major communication, he writes, will be the technical postmortem and a remediation proposal “once the environment is safe for full disclosure.”

At press time, Shiba Inu traded at $0.00001207.

Shiba Inu price
Shiba Inu price downtrend continues, 1-week chart | Source: SHIBUSDT on TradingView.com
Featured image created with DALL.E, chart from TradingView.com
Editorial Process for bitcoinist is centered on delivering thoroughly researched, accurate, and unbiased content. We uphold strict sourcing standards, and each page undergoes diligent review by our team of top technology experts and seasoned editors. This process ensures the integrity, relevance, and value of our content for our readers.

Jake Simmons has been a Bitcoin enthusiast since 2016. Ever since he heard about Bitcoin, he has been studying the topic every day and trying to share his knowledge with others. His goal is to contribute to Bitcoin's financial revolution, which will replace the fiat money system. Besides BTC and crypto, Jake studied Business Informatics at a university. After graduation in 2017, he has been working in the blockchain and crypto sector. You can follow Jake on Twitter at @realJakeSimmons.

你可能也喜歡

他给了王兴兴第一个200万,现在给下一个「宇树」当董事长

8月19日,A股“人形机器人第一股”宇树科技正式上市。十年前怀抱机器狗参加路演的王兴兴,如今站上资本市场舞台。鲜为人知的是,宇树最早的天使投资人是尹方鸣——2016年,他在王兴兴融资遇挫时投入200万元,获得15%股权。以发行价计算,这笔投资回报约140倍,达2.8亿元。 尹方鸣不仅是关键投资人,也曾是创业者。2014年他参与创立人工智能机器人公司ROOBO,曾获巨额融资,但产品未能打开市场,公司后来陷入纠纷。这段创业经历让他对硬件研发的难度有深刻理解,也恰恰让他识别出宇树在硬件自研与成本控制上的潜力。 在ROOBO走下坡路期间,尹方鸣逐步套现部分宇树股权,将资金投入新的领域。他投资了航天技术应用的能源公司、固态电池企业以及商业航天公司,不断寻找下一个机会。 如今,尹方鸣有了更重要的新角色:2026年7月,他正式出任具身智能独角兽银河通用的董事长。银河通用成立于2023年,估值已超200亿元,是国内该领域估值最高的未上市企业之一。此举标志着他从幕后投资人走向台前,深度参与公司战略。 尹方鸣早年毕业于西北工业大学,曾在手机行业深耕,先后在搜狗、奇虎360打造出多款明星产品。在移动互联网鼎盛时期,他选择转向AI领域创业与投资,始终试图抓住“下一个趋势”。尽管投资成绩斐然,他本人却异常低调,近期仅对外表示:“多多支持像王兴兴这样优秀的具身机器人创业者。”

marsbit3 小時前

他给了王兴兴第一个200万,现在给下一个「宇树」当董事长

marsbit3 小時前

交易

現貨
活动图片